Submissions/VisualEditor: The present and future of editing our wikis
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
VisualEditor: The present and future of editing wikis
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
James Forrester & Roan Kattouw
- Country of origin
United States / United Kingdom
- E-mail address
- User:Jdforrester (WMF) (James Forrester)
- User:Catrope (Roan Kattouw)
- User:ESanders (WMF) (Ed Sanders)
- User:Krinkle (Timo Tijhof)
- Personal homepage or blog
Wikipedia is “the free encyclopædia that anyone can edit”. We know from research, however, that most people can’t edit, and that building a visual editor is the most important thing we can do to bridge the gap. Previous attempts to use existing browser-based HTML editors to edit wikitext have fallen short of Wikipedia's needs, so we are building a new editor – the VisualEditor. We have now enabled it as the default editor for all Wikipedias, and we'd love to show you what we've done for editors old and new, and ask you what you think.
- Detailed proposal
Wikipedia is “the free encyclopædia that anyone can edit”. We know from research, however, that most people can’t edit, and that building a visual editor is the most important thing we can do to bridge the gap. Previous attempts to use existing browser-based HTML editors to edit wikitext have fallen short of Wikipedia's needs, mostly because wikitext is a superset of HTML and Wikipedia’s content is so complex.
Most important in this work has been devising tools that are helpful and easy to understand for new editors, and which focus their edits in the right direction as expected by our wikis' communities. We expect the VisualEditor to be a better way to edit not just for new users, but also for experienced community members – whether it is with templates, references, categories or other areas. We have also identified important areas that need improvements to better allow editors to review what changes fellow editors have made and react to them.
By Wikimania, we hope to have set VisualEditor to be the default way people edit all Wikipedias. It provides a simple way to create new articles, expand on stubs or make changes to mature and complex articles, while still allowing experienced editors to use the old wikitext editor if they want to. With an eye to the future, we have also been carefully preparing the way for the later addition of real-time collaborative editing.
Trevor and James will talk about and show off the work we've done, the decisions we made and the issues we worry about. We will ask you to tell us what you think, what your issues or concerns are for you and your communities, and what more we need to do to making editing Wikipedia – and all our wikis – truly open to everyone.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- അമിർ എ. അഹരൊനി (talk) 20:40, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
- Andrey Dumchev (talk) 08:40, 28 March 2013 (UTC)
- Risker (talk) 21:51, 3 April 2013 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 19:05, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 23:52, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- Vogone (talk) 15:39, 27 April 2013 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 00:36, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Wnme (talk) 21:15, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 17:29, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Tychay (talk) 22:54, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) (talk) 23:01, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- MarkTraceur (talk) 19:07, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 14:12, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Raystorm (talk) 09:39, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 13:27, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Plani (talk) 11:30, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- Superbellymonster (talk) 03:30, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- Atropine (talk) 13:47, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
- Archeologo (talk) 14:11, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
- Kavya Manohar (talk) 04:07, 17 May 2013 (UTC)
- Ovedc (talk) 09:17, 28 May 2013 (UTC)
- Marcio De Assis (talk) 14:59, 6 June 2013 (UTC)
- Teemeah (talk) 10:16, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Michael Jahn WMDE (talk) 17:45, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
- --Jduranboger (talk) 01:48, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 00:04, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 01:41, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- Your name here!