Meetups

From Wikimania 2013 • Hong Kong
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A Hello badge illustration representing various Wikipedians of all different persuasions, the heads of which are a caricature, or stylized cartoon of the Wikipedia logo

Wikimedia Meetups are planned or spontaneous gatherings of Wikimedians to discuss ideas, collaborate on articles, create a new wikiproject, meet new people or just simply be. This page is for coordinating, and eventually archiving, meetups at Wikimania 2013. It is referenced in the conference program and where folks will be sent for updates on Meetups.


Have an idea for a meetup that you think others will enjoy as well?

Add it to the list below and create a page on this wiki with more information.

Please keep these pages updated as you're able to arrange location, times, and other details.

Organizing a meetup

There are tips available on Wikipedia for organizing meetups. However, the idea is relatively simple, get a group of Wikimedians together who share a common interest or quality into a room together and discuss said interest or quality. Connecting that discussion to the world of Wikimedia is a nice bonus, but community building for the sake of community is fine too.

Keep in mind

  • There will be a designated gathering place – details coming soon. Note that this place is just for gathering and not for holding the meeting. You are responsible for finding your own room to use for the actual meetup.
  • Not everyone can get into bars or pay for a complete restaurant meal – please be respectful and accommodating of all interested participants.
  • Any meetups violating the spirit of conference civility, wikietiquette and Wikimedia Foundation policies will not be tolerated.

Recommended times

August 7 – 8
Pre-conference – all day
August 9 – 11
Morning coffee break – 11:00 – 11:30
Lunch – 13:00 – 14:00
Afternoon coffee break – 15:30 – 16:00
Evening – after 18:00

Meetup rooms

The lounge is available for all attendees to use. Lounge rooms are:

  • August 7 - 8: P302 - 303
  • August 9 - 11: N112 - 114 (same location as DevCamp)

If you prefer to reserve a room for your meetup, Rooms Y520 and Y521 will be available from 7 August to 11 August for organizing meetups. Feel free to book a slot on the table below!

Y520
  Aug 7 Aug 8 Aug 9 Aug 10 Aug 11
08:00 - 11:00
11:00 - 11:30
11:30 - 13:00 Support of Wiktionary in Wikidata
13:00 - 14:00 WMF Scrummasters
14:00 - 15:30
15:30 - 16:00
16:00 - 17:30 Closing Party
17:30 - 22:00 Francophones LGBT Meetup
Y521
  Aug 7 Aug 8 Aug 9 Aug 10 Aug 11
08:00 - 11:00
11:00 - 11:30
11:30 - 13:00
13:00 - 14:00
14:00 - 15:30
15:30 - 16:00
16:00 - 17:30 Closing Party
17:30 - 22:00 Wikimedia Asia

Adding a meetup

Anyone can use this example to add your event, in ascending order of starting time, to the appropriate list below:

===Example Meetup===
*''Contact(s):''
*''Date and time:'' 
*''Where:'' 
*''Description:'' 
*'''You can sign in and share ideas at [[Example Meetup]]'''

Be sure to link to the wikipage you've created on this wiki (or elsewhere if you have already created one). If hosted on this wiki, please add it to the [[Category:Meetups]].

Tentative

"Product Advisory Group" Brainstorming

  • Contact(s): Steven Walling, Maryana Pinchuk
  • Date and time: Saturday August 10th
  • Where:
  • Description:
  • You can sign in and share ideas at Product Advisory Group

Tech Shopping Meetup

Hong Kong's one of the best cities when it comes to shopping for technology products, cameras and the like. For those interested in checking out the

Wikimedia Asia meeting

  • Contact(s): Sky Harbor (talk), other Wikimedia Asia leads
  • Date and time: 10 August 2013, 17:30
  • Where: Y521
  • Description: The annual meeting for Asian Wikimania attendees and Asian Wikimedia affiliates! Let's see how we can continue building up Wikimedia Asia this year, especially since so many more of us will be there! :D
  • You can sign in and share ideas at Wikimedia Asia meeting

Wikimedia Australia meeting

  • Contact(s): Steven Zhang (talk) and the Wikimedia Australia committee
  • Date and time: 10 August, 13:00 (lunch)
  • Where: Meet under the big screen in Logo Square
  • Description: Wikimedia Australia will be hosting a meetup for all interested attendees. Meet the committee and learn more about our activities and what we've been doing over the last year.
  • Share ideas at the Wikimedia Australia meetup page.

Grantmaking Lunch

  • Contact(s): Siko Bouterse and Asaf Bartov
  • Date and time: August 9 during lunch
  • Where: TBA
  • Description: Committee members and grantees (past, present, and prospective!) from Wikimedia Grantmaking programs (FDC, IEG, WMF Grants, and PSP) will be gathering over lunch. Anyone interested in WMF grantmaking is welcome to attend!
  • You can sign in and share ideas on the Grantmaking meetup page

Medicine meetup

Wikimedia Venezuela meeting

Scheduled

WMF Scrummaster meetup

  • Contact(s): Arthur Richards
  • Date and time: August 9, 13:00-14:00
  • Where: Y520
  • Description: Are you currently or potentially becoming a scrummaster/scrummaster-like person at the WMF? Let's meetup and chat!

Attendees

Chinese Wikimedians' meeting

Photowikimeetup on the evenings of 9th an 10th

  • Purpose: meet, shoot pictures of HK (also for WLM2013) and have a good time. Commoners, people interested in photography and everybody else welcome!
  • Contact(s): Poco a poco, Ralf Roletschek
  • To found where and when we meet, please, visit this page

OpenStreetMap mapping party

  • Contact(s): User:Aude, User:MADe, User:Kolossos
  • Date and time: Friday, August 9, 17:30
  • Where: M104 (tentative?)
  • Description: We will go out and collect some data for OpenStreetMap (hands on!) and add it to OpenStreetMap. Learn how to collect data with a variety of tools, such as GPS / camera / smartphone, field papers, etc. and how it gets entered using one of the many OSM editors.
  • Commons category: Wikimania 2013 OpenStreetMap mapping party

Rencontre francophone (Francophone meetup)

  • Contact:
  • Date and time: Friday, August 9, 17:30
  • Where: Y520 (block Y)
  • Description:
    • Français : L'objectif de cette rencontre est de discuter de l'avenir de nos chapitres respectifs, de partager nos projets et bien sûr au final d'améliorer la qualité de WP-fr et ses projets frères.
    • English: The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the future of our respective chapters, to share our projects and of course ultimately improve the quality of WP-fr and its sister projects.
  • Lien / Link: Rencontre francophone

Meet the Mozillians 2013

  • Contact(s): Irvin, Sammyfung
  • Date and time: Friday, August 9, 19:30-22:00
  • Where: Miracle House, Flat 697, 3/F Winner Mansion, 691-697 Nathan Rd, Mong Kok, Kowloon
  • Description: Few oversea Mozillians will attend Wikimania, let's join our cafe meetup with Mozilla Hong Kong Community to chit-chat Mozilla products, web and internet development and communities.
  • Please see detail and register at eventbrite.
  • It's now FULL and OVERCROWDED, we will only accepts those registered with eventbrite and by-invitation only.

Program Evaluation & Design Q&A session - Sunday 13:00-14:00

  • Contact(s): Sarah Stierch
  • Date and time:: Sunday, August 11, 13:00-14:00
  • Where: Learning and Evaluation Booth at conference venue
  • Description: Come get to know the newest team at the Wikimedia Foundation - Program Evaluation and Design. PE&D is a team devoted to supporting Wikimedia chapters and community members who seek to evaluate their programs - like edit-a-thons, workshops, GLAM projects, Wiki Loves Monuments, education program, etc. - to celebrate their successes and maximize the impact their programs are making on the mission of Wikimedia - to provide access to free knowledge to every human!

Chapters Village Meetups

  • Contact(s):
    • Nicole Ebber, International Affairs, Wikimedia Deutschland, nicole.ebber@wikimedia.de
    • Kasia Odrozek, Assistant to the ED, Wikimedia Deutschland, kasia.odrozek@wikimedia.de
    • Wenke Storn, Event Manager, Wikimedia Deutschland, wenke.storn@wikimedia.de
  • Date and time: Saturday and Sunday in coffee- and lunch breaks (see below for details)
  • Where: Chapters Village, Logo Square
  • Description:

Saturday, 10 August

morning coffee break: 11:00–11:30

  • Table 1: Supporting tools for Wikipedia, RENDER project (Angelika Mühlbauer, WMDE)
  • Table 2: The past, present and future of paid editing on Wikipedia (Dirk Franke, kind of WMDE)
  • Table 3: Let's put the port in reporting! How to report your work. (Michael Jahn, WMDE)
  • Table 4: The old and mostly unknown sister projects – how to deal with them in future. (Steffen Prößdorf, WMDE)

lunch break: 13:00–13:30

  • Table 1: Wikidata contributor meet-up (Lydia Pintscher, WMDE)
  • Table 2: New V4.0 of the Creative Commons Licenses - what they do and don't (John Weitzmann, sort of WMDE)
  • Table 3: Organisational peer reviews – how to create sustainability for our projects (Markus Glaser, WCA)
  • Table 4: Public Domain Project – free download, free music, free radio (Carl Flisch, Christoph Zimmermann, WMCH)

lunch break 13:30-14:00

  • Table 1: Informed decision making in next year's EU election: Q&A with European political parties ("Wahlprüfsteine") (Mathias Schindler, WMDE)
  • Table 2: Wikimedia Archaeology – From national projects to an international Thematic group. (Marcus Cyron, GLAM)
  • Table 3: Chapters Manual – Help collecting knowledge to run our organisations. (Markus Glaser, WCA)
  • Table 4: Teahouse international – Bringing the Teahouse to more Wikipedias. (Tim Moritz Hector, Lydia Pintscher, Polimerek)

afternoon coffee break: 15:30–16:00

  • Table 1: Chapters Dialogue: A structured assessment of chapters needs, goals and stories combined with a stakeholder survey. (Nicole Ebber & Kira Krämer, WMDE)
  • Table 2: Innovative ways of increasing community involvement (Denis Barthel, WMDE)
  • Table 3: Diversity in Wikipedia and Diversity Conference, part I (Ilona Buchem & Cornelia Trefflich, WMDE)
  • Table 4: KIWIX – Wikipedia in jail (Emmanuel Engelhart, WMCH)

Sunday, 11 August

lunch break: 13:00–13:30

  • Table 1: Tutoría en Buenos Aires – how chapters can help improving each other (Cornelius Kibelka, Osmar Valdebenito [WMAR])
  • Table 2: Diversity in Wikipedia and Diversity Conference, part II (Ilona Buchem & Cornelia Trefflich, WMDE)
  • Table 3: Broadcasting corporation and Wikimedia Universe - a meet-up of cultures (Tim Moritz, Wikipedian in Residence at the online plattform ZDFcheck)
  • Table 4: Women edit - how to encourage women to participate in Wikimedia projects (Siesta, Silvia Stieneker)

Chapters Dialogue

  • Contact:
    • Nicole Ebber, International Affairs, Wikimedia Deutschland, nicole.ebber@wikimedia.de
    • Kira Kraemer, Project Manager Chapters Dialogue, Wikimedia Deutschland, kira.kraemer@wikimedia.de
  • Date and time: Thursday, August 8, 10:00-14:00
  • Where: M104
  • Description: Chapters Dialogue is a structured assessment of Chapters' roles, goals, challenges and needs - learn more about the project in this session and contribute your input
  • You can sign in and share ideas at Chapters Dialogue

Fourth Annual LGBT Meetup

  • Contact(s): User:Varnent, and others with Wikimedia LGBT
  • Date and time: 18:00 – 20:30, Saturday, August 10, 2013
  • Where: Room Y520
  • Description: The Fourth Annual Wikimania LGBT Meetup at Wikimania 2013 in Hong Kong will bring together LGBT Wikimedians and allies from around the globe.
  • You can sign in and share ideas at LGBT Meetup

VisualEditor improvement workshops

  • Contact(s): Jdforrester, and others from the VisualEditor team
  • Date and time: 13:00 – 14:00, each day (Friday 9 - Sunday 11 August 2013)
  • Where: Room N112
  • Description: We will work in groups to investigate areas of VisualEditor's editing workflows. We will explore what works, what is missing, and what improvements, and suggest ideas for how to make it better.

MediaWiki Release Management

  • Contact(s): Markus Glaser, Mark Hershberger
  • Date and time: Saturday August 10th, 14:30-15:30
  • Where: Room N114 (next to Logo Square)
  • Description: MediaWiki is mainly developed for the Wikimedia sites. So, naturally, there is some room for improvement when it comes to the tarball releases. We are here (and contracted) to work on this. Besides automating the release process, we care a lot about third party users and extension developers. So in this meetup, we'd like to listen to you. What are your needs? Where do you feel the current release (process) is not good enough? What are the biggest issues? And: do you want to help?

I would like to participate:

  1. --Mglaser (talk) 13:58, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
  2. Sj (talk)
  3. put your name here

African Wikipedians meeting

  • Contact(s): Initially proposed by User:ErikV; informally organized.
  • Date and time: 10 August 2013, 18:00
  • Where: Meeting point in Logo Square.
  • Description: The African continent is moving. Africans will be present on this Wikimania, let's join up to discuss our experiences! The meeting was quickly and informally organized August 10th and it allowed a group of 7 people to discuss about Wikimedia Foundation global south strategy and to discuss further the proposal for Wiki-Indaba-2013 (expectations, goals, program, format, dates...).

Schedule

Will be posted later

See also

Questions

Questions about organizing or coordinating meetups can be directed to the Programme Committee.