Submissions/WMF's New Global South Strategy
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no. 2080
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- WMF's Global South Strategy
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Asaf Bartov, Head of Wikimedia Grants and Global South Partnerships, Wikimedia Foundation
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
- 80% of the edits on Wikipedia come from developed nations (comprising only 20% of the world population). Only 18% of active editors on Wikimedia projects live outside very high HDI countries. Most attempts to change this, by WMF, chapters, and individuals, did not achieve measurable impact. Lessons were learned. So, where do we focus and what do we do to change this?
- Detailed proposal
- The Wikimedia Movement's Strategic Plan calls for increasing participation, specifically calling out, alongside a gender and age gap, the very disproportionate participation by editors from what the Plan calls "global north" versus the "global south".
The past three years or so have seen a number of efforts, strategies, projects, and structures created to increase "global south" participation (i.e. editorship) and reach (i.e. readership). It has proven to be more difficult than most plans expected.
This talk will briefly offer some accumulated lessons learned, and share the WMF's revised strategy for work in the Global South, in terms of focus countries, regions, languages, and the intended approaches.
- Doesn't seem like a perfect fit under any of the available tracks. I suppose "Cultural and Education Outreach" is closest.
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- TBD, but will be available before Wikimania.
- Special requests
- Oh, call it whatever you like! I neither chose this term nor like it. Yes, I know it's in my title. :-/
- Seriously, I don't care. I have zero interest in the semantic/philosophical/post-colonial/whatever argument about the term, or the validity of the distinction itself. Consider it shorthand for "the list of countries significantly under-represented among editorship or readership of Wikimedia projects". If you are interested in that argument, go have it with other people who share your interest :).
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Peter Talk 19:45, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
- Thuvack (talk) 19:45, 12 February 2013 (UTC)
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton (talk) 08:46, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
- This will be one of the more important presentations at the conference for anyone who wants to understand movement expansion strategies and goals. Blue Rasberry (talk) 09:00, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 21:41, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- Netha Hussain (talk) 19:37, 27 February 2013 (UTC)
- MADe (talk) 13:31, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- أمير إ. أهروني 20:47, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
- Seriously? You're going to kill even more kittens? Slashme (talk) 19:14, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- I think this is the only submission without any abstract or detailed proposal (yet) that can garner 10 interested attendees... ;) Bennylin (talk) 12:56, 16 April 2013 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron (talk) 20:55, 25 April 2013 (UTC) - wanna see if theres comming something that's good from the WMF - or the same like ever
- Interested to see where this is going these days. CT Cooper · talk 00:58, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Phoebe (talk) 22:34, 30 April 2013 (UTC) but write an abstract!
- Ocaasi (talk) 02:29, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Gyoung (talk) 09:47, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 15:30, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 23:06, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 21:13, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Superbellymonster (talk) 03:35, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- Atropine (talk) 13:41, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
- --22.214.171.124 16:53, 13 May 2013 (UTC)
- Marcio De Assis (talk) 15:03, 6 June 2013 (UTC)
- Ganesh Paudel (talk) 06:48, 8 July 2013 (UTC)
- Ocastro (talk)
- Vini 175 (talk) 17:22, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- --Jduranboger (talk) 16:33, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
- Roblespepe (talk) 22:03, 8 August 2013 (UTC) (Argentina-Spanish Wikipedia)
- Isla Haddow (talk) 09:55, 9 August 2013