Submissions/Roundtable on Messaging and Discussions
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Roundtable on Messaging and Discussions
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Maryana Pinchuk
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
This special roundtable workshop will invite community members to discuss ideas for new messaging and discussion tools under consideration by the Wikimedia Foundation's editor engagement team. A new project code-named 'Flow' is exploring new ways for users to communicate with each other through improved messaging and discussion features. We will brainstorm and review a couple new feature ideas during this creative workshop, which will be facilitated by WMF staff.
- Detailed proposal
How can we help users communicate more effectively on Wikipedia?
A new project code-named 'Flow' is exploring new ways for users to communicate with each other through improved messaging and discussion features. Our research suggests that current talk pages on Wikipedia are really hard to use by newbies, and we are looking for practical suggestions on how to improve them.
During this workshop, we will focus on some of these problems, identify product goals, review proposed solutions, and discuss next steps for this initiative. We plan to discuss up to three specific topics, with concrete examples of how communications could be improved on Wikipedia.
We hope to engage about two dozen community members total, ideally representing different user groups (e.g.: new users, active users, power users). We will brainstorm and review a couple new feature ideas during this creative workshop, which will be facilitated by WMF staff.
Presenters/Facilitators: Maryana Pinchuk (product manager), Brandon Harris (senior designer), Howie Fung, Fabrice Florin and other team members.
Note: This roundtable workshop is intended to be a follow-up to the previous presentation: 'Flow: The future of collaboration' (5051), by designer Brandon Harris.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 70 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Howief (talk) 18:58, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) (talk) 19:06, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Trizek (talk) 10:02, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 14:33, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- MarkTraceur (talk) 19:06, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 13:11, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Superbellymonster (talk) 02:37, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 18:25, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
- Pginer (talk) 14:26, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
- Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 21:53, 8 July 2013 (UTC)
- Michael Jahn WMDE (talk) 17:44, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
- Denis Barthel (WMDE) (talk)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 16:44, 7 August 2013 (UTC)