- Title of the session
- Multimedia Roundtable
- Type of session
- creative workshop / group discussion
- Date/time for the session
- Thursday, August 8th, 10:00 local time
- Length of session
- 120 minutes
(we have the room until 12:30, if some want to stay longer)
- Pre-conference site, room Rm M108 (next to lunch area)
- Session Report
- (NEW) See this Roundtable Report for more info about this session.
This special roundtable workshop will invite community members to discuss feature ideas for new multimedia tools under consideration by the Wikimedia Foundation. Our new multimedia team is exploring a range of solutions for providing a richer media experience on Wikipedia, through features like better multimedia displays, easier upload and editing tools, new curation and feedback tools. We will brainstorm and review a couple new product ideas, as well as help refine the goals outlined in this planning page for the multimedia team. This creative workshop will be facilitated by WMF staff and community members familiar with our new multimedia initiatives.
- Fabrice Florin (WMF product manager)
- Rob Lanphier (WMF platform engineering director)
- Andrew Lih (USC journalism professor)
- Erik Moeller (WMF VP engineering + product)
- Ryan Kaldari (WMF engineer)
- Detailed proposal
How can we create a richer multimedia experience on Wikipedia?
This special roundtable workshop will invite community members to discuss ideas for solving issues outlined in this planning page for the Wikimedia Foundation's new multimedia team.
We will explore and brainstorm some of these feature ideas for new multimedia tools under consideration by our team:
- Media viewer
- New curation / feedback tools
- Discovery and article insertion tools
During this workshop, we will focus on some of these problems, identify product goals, review proposed solutions, and discuss next steps for this initiative.
We propose to discuss up to three specific projects that would make better use of images, audio and video on Wikipedia and Commons.
- Topic 1 - Media viewer: How can multimedia content be displayed better? (e.g. larger images, full screen mode, better galleries, slideshows)
- Topic 2 - Curation/feedback tool: How can users curate media files more effectively together? (e.g. comparisons, tags and/or ratings for each file)
- Topic 3 - Discovery and article insertion tools: How can editors find and add multimedia content to articles more easily? (e.g. better search, expand VE's Insert Media tool)
After an initial presentation about our goals and media ecosystem, we will devote most of this session to brainstorming and reviewing possible solutions for each of these topics, as outlined in this proposed agenda:
- Introduce participants and their interests (15:00)
- Present and discuss multimedia goals and ecosystem (30:00)
- Discuss Topic 1 (20:00)
- Discuss Topic 2 (20:00)
- Discuss Topic 3 (20:00)
- Conclusions and Q&A (15:00)
We hope to engage up to a dozen community members and a dozen WMF team members to collaborate in this creative workshop and guided discussion.
We welcome your suggestions for participants to invite, discussion topics or improvements to this proposed agenda. Please add your comments on this discussion page -- or email fflorinwikimedia.org with your recommendations.
- Author of the submission
- Fabrice Florin
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
- Fabrice Florin (WMF)
- Personal homepage or blog
- @fabriceflorin on Twitter
- Pre-conference, Technology and Infrastructure
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Language of session
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 00:54, 30 April 2013 (UTC) - see also Submissions/Open Access Media Importer
- Ocaasi (talk) 14:33, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Fuzheado (talk) 17:53, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- MarkTraceur (talk) 19:01, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 04:04, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 14:59, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Matthew (WMF) (talk) 01:27, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- Andrew Gray (talk) 21:52, 21 June 2013 (UTC)
- Smallbones (talk) 12:53, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Jean-Frédéric (talk) 12:10, 5 July 2013 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 21:29, 5 July 2013 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 14:52, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 15:15, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- Trizek (talk) 17:03, 18 July 2013 (UTC)
- Subhashish Panigrahi
- Jon Davies (WMUK) (talk) 14:30, 13 August 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.