Submissions/Minor languages (in example of Sakha language) challenges faced in times of mobile technologies development
Jump to navigation Jump to search
After careful consideration, the programme committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2013 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Minor languages challenges faced in times of mobile technologies development (in example of Sakha language)
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Erimeev German
- Country of origin
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
- Challenges that minor languages such as Sakha language face in times when more and more computers are becoming mobile, like tablets or smartphones.
- Detailed proposal
- I would like to speak about challenges that are existent for Wikipedias in minor languages, taking my native language - Sakha - as an example. Lately we see that the landscape of computers are changing towards mobile, like smartphones and tablets. The support for minor languages is incomplete in modern mobile OS - like iOS, Android or Windows Phone. The problems is that text input is unable to be installed on iOS and it is not available from the box on Android. I would like to urge for support from Wikimedia for contacting Apple, Google and Microsoft for adding support for fonts and text input on their modern devices. The problem appears on all Russian minor languages because there in only option of text in Russia is Russian language in iOS, for instance. I will also talk where are we standing right now on legacy desktop operational systems and about steps taken about adding support to minimize unavailability of adding text in Sakha language.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 15 Minutes presentation, 5 mins question time
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Maybe, still depends on the scholarship.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- The slides on Slideshare (Thesis of the presentation)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Уруй айхал! (By the way, one way to try to push Google in this direction would be to add a star to this Android bug. Amire80 (talk) 13:23, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 23:04, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 00:03, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.