Submissions/Translation of Commons Templates into Hindi: The Joy and Responsibilities of Contributors
After careful consideration, the programme committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2013 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Translation of Commons Templates into Hindi: The Joy and Responsibilities of Contributors
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Country of origin
- Independent Wikimedia Foundation Projects Contributor
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
This is a proposed presentation about the translation of Commons Templates into Hindi.
- Detailed proposal
Translation of Commons Templates into Hindi: The Joy and Responsibilities of Contributors
Like all voluntary activities on Wikimedia Projects, the pleasure of translating its templates is indeed a wonderful activity. For, while this activity involves translation of the text, it also give the pleasure to the translator to see the template in a new form and shape. There are certain issues which are to be born in mind in this context:
- The syntax of two languages may differ significantly. For example, in the this template the text is typeद् as:
- This template is uploaded with Malayalam loves Wikimedia event - 2.
The corresponding Hindi translated template is as follows:
- यह चित्र अपलोड की गयी है मलयालम है विकिमीडिया की पसन्द समारोह - 2 में अपलोड की गयी है.
Notice the difference in the positioning of the highlighted text.
- Geographic dimensions and cultural use of a language are not a precursor for templates to be translated. Therefore, one should not be surprised to find the Commons:Template:Al Jazeera/hi, Commons:Template:Australian Broadcasting Corporation-source/hi,Commons:Template:CanadianIllustrated/hi, Commons:Template:IDF/hi,Commons:Template:Nazi symbol/hi, Commons:Template:Picasareviewunnecessary/hi, etc. Thus, the geographic area or use of the language is no restriction for contributors to translate a template into Hindi.
- The Public Domain Template in Hindi carries the following text:
- यह चित्र प्रकाशनाधिकार के लिये अयोग्य है अत: सार्वजनिक क्षेत्र में है, क्योंकि इस चित्र का मूल आम संपत्ति है तथा किसी भी मौलिक रचना से मुक्त है।
It might be noticed here that the hyperlink above points to a page on the English Wikipedia, because the corresponding page in Hindi Wikipedia is yet to be developed.
Although these are some of the areas to be worked upon, the good thing is that the people involved in translation represent an active group across multiple Wikimedia Projects, and will hopefully overcome this lacunae.
- Cultural and Education Outreach
- Wikis in Asia
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, if Scholarship is approved.
- Slides or further information (optional)
The proposed presenter has conceived and authored over 53 articles on the Hindi Wikipedia including conceiving and developing the entire category of articles related to State AIDS Control Societies in India on the Wikipedia.He has also contributed to/ edited several hundreds of articles on the Hindi Wikipedia and the the English Wikipedia. He is also a filemover, images-uploader, templates-translator and files-categorizer on Wikimedia Commons.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).