Submissions/The Impact of GLAM Institutions Outreach Educational Programmes in Botswana
After careful consideration, the programme committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2013 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- GLAM Institutions Improves Educational Program-mes and Students Knowledge.
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Oarabile Mudongo
- Country of origin
- Student (Botho College)
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
Recognizing the need to reach audiences beyond small towns and large cities of (Botswana) about the existence of Museums,Libraries,Galleries and Monuments a group of volunteers from Botswana is planning to undertake a project which collaborate both the Ministry of Education and the Division of the Botswana National Museum to developed and expand several outreach programs and services for primary schools around the country and encourage students to edit and write educational articles on Wikipedia about GLAM Institutions to increase student participation on Wikipedia Projects.
- Detailed proposal
Recognizing the need to reach audiences beyond small towns and large cities of (Botswana) about the existence of Museums, Libraries, Galleries and Monuments a group of volunteers from Botswana is planning to undertake a project which collaborate both the Ministry of Education and the Division of the Botswana National Museum to developed and expand several outreach programs and services for schools around the country and encourage students to edit and write educational articles on Wikipedia about GLAM Institutions to increase student participation on Wikipedia Projects. The government of Botswana has introduced a new program-me of E-Government in government institutions including schools which allows everyone to have access to Internet in order to have access to Internet resources, so bringing up Wikipedia in such an opportunity is a great way of increasing more participation on Wikimedia projects.
The aim of this program is to build on the work of the Mobile Museum Service and intensify the Museum’s relationship with schools by demonstrating to teacher’s practical ways in which the Museum could serve as an educational resource for learners. This programmes is also a way of bringing real time collaboration between Teach to Students participation also on Wikipedia Projects such as (Wikipedia, WLM), that is to say the knowledge they grasp from touring GLAM Institutions will be enough for them to share it with the globe on Wikipedia hence promoting active involvement on Wikimedia projects.
Museum publications can be used by teachers as supplementary resources on a wide range of heritage topics related to the curriculum as a great way of disseminating information to student thereby giving each student an opportunity to have something to write about on Wikipedia. Outreach programs such as these will encourage everyone to develop learning attitude and sharing collections within the encyclopedia and also they could be used in a variety of lesson plans from social studies to science by teachers to mentor students or even be uploaded on Wiki Varsity as a learning material. Children would be responsible for bringing knowledge, maintaining frequent displays and gathering more information, as a way of developing their research and analytical skills hence growing the great encyclopedia.
- Cultural and Educational Outreach
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
See you in Hong Kong,Wikimania 2013.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Please if i have my proposal accepted,kindly request that you schedule my presentation on any day except Saturday.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Jeromy-Yu Chan, COIC (talk) 14:19, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
- MADe (talk) 20:07, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
- Dyolf (talk) 22:46, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
- It would be great to get more African participation in GLAM for the reasons stated in this submission. Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:47, 1 April 2013 (UTC)
- Looking forward to it! Slashme (talk) 18:37, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:12, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ldavis (WMF) (talk) 17:55, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 08:06, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Sannita (talk) 08:50, 13 May 2013 (UTC)
- Your name here