This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- OpenStreetMap workshop
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Katie Filbert
- Country of origin
- n/a (not relevant for this)
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
OpenStreetMap (OSM)  is a collaborative, open-source wiki map project that anyone can edit. Learn about the types of data collected and how, and what data sources can be used. Get a quick tutorial of adding and editing data in OSM. Learn how data can be used to create custom maps, and have your questions about OSM answered.
- Detailed proposal
The workshop will include a quick introduction to the OpenStreetMap project, a free, open-source collaborative wiki map project. OpenStreetMap was established in 2004. The project now has over 16,000 active mappers and over 1 million registered accounts. The data is used in a variety of ways and by numerous organizations, ranging from FourSquare to the United Nations.
- Data collection: What types of data are collected in OSM? How data is collected? No GPS required! Mapping data can be collected from various sources, including satellite / aerial imagery, public domain or license-compatible sources, "walking papers" and local knowledge, and optionally a handheld or smartphone GPS can be helpful in some cases. Which data sources are compatible with OpenStreetMap and it's Open Database License (ODBL)? (~15 min)
- Editing OSM: How to do basic editing of OSM data with Potlatch, iD, and/or JOSM editors? Potlatch is the web-based editor on openstreetmap.org, iD is a new web-based editor, and JOSM is a more advanced Java-based editor that can be used offline. Depending on the audience, a quick tutorial of editing in one or more of the editors can be done. (~15 min)
- Making maps: How data can be used to create custom maps, using tools such as TileMill, and about use of OSM in Wikipedia. (~20 min)
- Questions: answer any questions the audience has about OpenStreetMap and/or extended time for one of the other topics above. (~15 min)
(schedule permitting, also propose to do a more hands-on mapping event "party" around Hong Kong Polytechnic University during the pre-conference/dev-camp, using walking papers (pen + paper) to take notes and mark where things are and then enter the information into OpenStreetMap. )
- About the presenter
Katie has been an OSM mapper since 2008.  She co-presented an OSM workshop and organized a mapping party at Wikimania 2011, organized a mapping party and tutorial at Wikimania 2012, and at Wiki Conference NYC 2010, along with numerous local events with Mapping DC. She is a member of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 70 minutes, preferred
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- I can help if you need, I'm an active mapper in Taiwan. SupaplexTW (talk) 17:33, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- I also want to help, especially at server-side stuff (What we are doing at Toolserver/WMLabs with retookOSM?). --220.127.116.11 19:38, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- I'd be happy to participate. We can play with tilemill a bit to get into custom map creation. --Dschwen (talk) 20:43, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:09, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 19:31, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 19:31, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Every year I miss this. Let's hope I can make it happen!! SarahStierch (talk) 16:04, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- Yug (talk) 00:11, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Chuq (talk) 11:58, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 18:03, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 16:18, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- I am with User:SupaplexTW and I can help, too. I love to use Go Map!! to edit OSM! Shangkuanlc (talk) 09:07, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 16:48, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
- --Ayaita (talk) 21:39, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
- Robertpba (talk) 09:13, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
- Roblespepe (talk) 22:35, 8 August 2013 (UTC) (Argentina)
- Kolossos (talk) 08:01, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- --វ័ណថារិទ្ធ (Vantharith) (talk) 08:13, 9 August 2013 (UTC)