Submissions/Language Usability Outreach Program
This submission is on the wait list for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Language Usability Outreach Program
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Runa Bhattacharjee
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
The Wikimedia Language Engineering team has been consistently working to improve its engagement with the community of users from various language Wiki projects. Through this session, we will initiate our new outreach program for focused interaction between the Language Engineering team and representatives from the community who are active participants in Wikimedia language projects and have an understanding of the language tools/processes used in the projects.
- Detailed proposal
The Language Outreach initiative stems from need to bridge the language gap between the Wikimedia language community and the Language Engineering team. Even with a combined language proficiency of more than 15 languages among the team members, the Language Engineering efforts require additional expertise for nearly 300 more languages for which internationalization and localization support is constantly being developed. The outreach initiative is aimed to bridge this gap by engaging the larger community of users to focus on specific areas pertaining to usability feedback, user engagement and expert guidance for development decisions for the language tools. The representatives of the outreach program will be given an overview about providing feedback to the Language Engineering team and engaging with the language community through pre-determined action plans, regular activities, best practices, qualitatively measurable outcome and constant communication.
During this workshop, we intend to initiate this program with a few members of the language communities by focusing on:
- pre-requisites for on-line communication and other interaction
- marking the tools that are of priority
- best practices for efficient feedback
- community engagement
- checkpoints for measurable impact
- other engagement activities
Also, we would be discussing about practices that have been followed by the language community members that can be integrated into the program.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 45 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depends on organisational approval
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Amire80 (talk) 13:21, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- Siebrand (talk) 18:57, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- --Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 17:17, 11 March 2013 (UTC)
- Amqui (talk) 20:40, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 23:56, 28 April 2013 (UTC)
- Pginer (talk) 13:03, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 01:39, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Bellayet (talk) 17:04, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Nikerabbit (talk) 17:03, 22 May 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.