Submissions/Guided Mobile Contributions to Commons via Campaigns
After careful consideration, the programme committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2013 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Yuvi Panda
- Country of origin
- Mobile Team, Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
- Campaigns like Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Takes <city> help people who are first time contributors to Wikimedia Commons tremendously. By narrowing the scope down considerably & giving them a discovery mechanism for finding what to photograph, it makes complying with COM:SCOPE a much easier task. The Mobile apps team is adding support for conducting similar campaigns via the Commons Android / iOS apps, which not only let you participate in a campaign but also interact with the other people who are participating. Come see how we're making collaborative Commons photo hunts the most fun thing ever!
- Detailed proposal
- Initiatives like Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Takes <city> help people who are first time contributors to Wikimedia Commons tremendously. By narrowing the scope down considerably & giving them a discovery mechanism for finding what to photograph, it makes complying with COM:SCOPE a much easier task. They also help a lot with categorization & other cleanup, since the users who organized the campaign are usually babysitting it. There was a Wiki Loves Monuments specific Android application last year, that was received favorably. This year we will try to recreate most of it but in a generic way that can be used not just for Wiki Loves Monuments but for any campaign. This lets users participate in any themed campaigns in a very simple way. It also goes an extra step, and lets you view and interact with the other uploads in the campaign. There is also a 'discovery' element to most campaigns - a list of 'things you can photograph' and perhaps 'where to find them', which is a very important tool for new contributors. Different ways of setting up a discovery pipeline will also be discussed.
This talk is both for experienced Commons users who want to organize such Campaigns (or have done so in the past!), as well as for new users who are getting started with contributing to Commons. We'll talk about what Campaigns can do, how you can set one up, where we stole ideas from and what is coming next. There would be demos too!
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).