Submissions/Bots help for more editors, Persian Wikipedia example
After careful consideration, the programme committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2013 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Bots help for more editors, Persian Wikipedia example
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Country of origin
- Germany, Iran
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
Persian Wikipedia was 4-3 years ago a small wiki with maximal article number of 100K. It also lacked a good category structure and categorized pages. We managed to improve the situation with the help of bots. Bots creating articles, adding info-boxes to articles, translating the info-boxes, transliterating foreign names and also adding categories from bigger wikis like English or German. There are some Pros/Cons in this approach. It will be also interesting for small and medium wikis (less than 500K).
- Detailed proposal
Persian Wikipedia was 4-3 years ago a small Wiki with maximal article number of 100K. It also lacked a good category structure and categorized pages and also editors. We managed to improve the situation with the helps of bots. Bots creating articles, adding info boxes to articles, translating the info boxes, transliterating foreign names and also adding categories from bigger Wikis like enwiki or dewiki. After having more subject covered in our wiki, we see increase in usage (visitors) and also content creation (editors). There also some bots/gadgets for quality improvement that have been used, like FaWikipatroler which controls every new article and when it lacks interwiki, reference or is too small, alert him in his user talk page about that. Another bot which was taken from itwiki and localized, was a geotag bot. As it has it's pros and cons, it could be interesting for other Wikis like us.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- Language of presentation/talk
- English (question can be asked in English or German)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- I hope so.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Zack (talk) 12:25, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
- MPelletier (WMF) (talk) 03:59, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- అమీర్ ఎ. అహరొని (talk) 20:14, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 16:07, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 08:54, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
- LeslieCarr (talk) 18:34, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Nirakka (talk) 08:51, 7 May 2013 (UTC)