any inexpensive hostels to live?
I wondered if there are any inexpensive hostels nearby to live. --Shujenchang (talk) 03:28, 25 May 2012 (UTC)
- We're still negotiating affordable accommodations like hostels, university dorm near venue of Wikimania, and we'll update the page as we have more detail.--石 (talk) 14:55, 4 June 2012 (UTC)
- When do the organizers expect to confirm hostel accommodations through the signup form or to finalize housing recommendations? I would like to confirm my stay as soon as I can. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:20, 27 May 2013 (UTC)
- The page says, "price will be increased on June 15, 2013" but I think that reservations are not yet being acknowledged and no payments are being accepted. Are hostel confirmations confirmed for all people who completed the signup form? Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:49, 4 June 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Bluerasberry, sorry for our late response. We have updated most of the accommodation reservation. And you should be able to pay now via the query page. We have enough rooms for all scholarship recipients.--Simon Shek/石 (talk) 20:39, 5 June 2013 (UTC)
Bid is successful?
The accommodation lead reads: "The prices in this list already include an "early-bird" discount for booking, although we will try to negotiate a better price if our bid is successful.", isn't the bid successful? Yogesh Khandke (talk) 02:21, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- I'm sorry if it caused any confusion. These informations were gathered and written during the bid. I edited the page.--Simon Shek/石 (talk) 11:40, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
The Hotel Icon has a very tight relationship with PolyU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_ICON_(Hong_Kong)) and I did not find any special rates for the Wikimania 2013 event. On the contrary, the rates are above US$ 350.00 with taxes per night for a simple room from 08.06.13 - 08.12.13. Do you have a special package for the event or a "real" promotion for early birds? Thanks in advance. Marcio De Assis (talk) 12:55, 10 March 2013 (UTC)
Accommodation table distances/times
It would be helpful if the accommodation table included either walking time or transit time from the accommodation to the university venue. Some attendees may trade off higher fees for shorter distances, or the opposite. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) --Ralgis 04:33, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
Are the dorms of PolyU available for booking? --Shujen Chang (talk) 11:07, 22 February 2013 (UTC)
Promotion codes for hotels?
I'm preparing to make my arrangements, and want to book hotel rooms. I assume that there are promotion codes that will help reduce the cost of the rooms from their usual rates; how do I find out what they are? (I assume that you wouldn't want to publish them here for risk of their being misused.) Risker (talk) 21:58, 3 April 2013 (UTC)
- I would also like to know the answer to this. --Piotrus (talk) 02:44, 19 April 2013 (UTC)
So WikiSym is going to take place nearby  at en:Cyberport. It is still ~1h away by public transportation from the Wikimania location, according to Google Maps. Are there any plans to provide transport between those two locations? Or is it recommended for people to simply move accommodations from Cyberport to PolyU area? --Piotrus (talk) 02:44, 19 April 2013 (UTC)
- You have to take a minibus and change to another bus to go to PolyU. That takes around 45 mins (the least, if not in rush hour when the cross harbour tunnel will be very congested). I would suggest you move to accommodations to PolyU area. --Krislcc (talk) 09:47, 19 April 2013 (UTC)
Why was a list of hotels trimmed down?
In this edit, most of hotels were removed. Why? --Piotrus (talk) 06:42, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
- Those information (in terms of room rate) was not up to date. --Simon Shek/石 (talk) 11:40, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
Late arrival at the dorms
Do the dorms accept late arrival? My plane is due 21:20 and of course local transportation will take up some time. I just hope the dorms won't be closed... Teemeah (talk) 19:35, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
- I also need an answer for this since my situation is similar. Thanks in advance, Mel 23 (talk) 15:37, 28 May 2013 (UTC)
- No later than noon on Aug 12.--Simon Shek/石 (talk) 13:57, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
Bad link to Ramada hotel
When clicking the link to the Ramada Hotel, just about every security system I had lit up and I was actually not able to get there. Apparently there is a "Red Exploit Kit Redirect attack SID26572" which I am sure security folks will understand better than I do. Nonetheless, is there another link? Risker (talk) 20:17, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for fixing it. Deryck Chan (talk) 20:07, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
Bed & Breakfast
I am looking for a possibility to get into contact with resident Wikipedians who might offer some kind of couch surfing or bed & breakfast. The University dorm means sharing a room with an unknown person, this is not an option for me. But it is okay with me to stay in a even very simple place, as long as I have one room for myself and access to a shower :-)
Do you have any notice board where people could pin their offers of lodging?
Thank you. --Schwäbin (talk) 08:16, 5 June 2013 (UTC) (staying from Aug 05 to Aug 12. Female. Living on a Paleo template, so breakfast is not even neccessary)
The price 900HKD include the city tax? (that I saw on the hotel website)? --Itzike (talk) 09:13, 5 June 2013 (UTC)
- Hotel tax is currently 0%. Deryck Chan (talk) 20:11, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
Last year, there was a possibility to find somebody to share hotel rooms (Room sharing). Will there be anything similar here? May I just copy the table here? --MB-one (talk) 13:59, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- Feel free to start one! It seems like a wikipage is the best way of doing this. Deryck Chan (talk) 20:05, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
Accommodation Payment Confirmation
I haved already made my payment a few days ago and I also send two mails but why there is no replyment and no update in my registration status page? Could you help me check my payment?Zhu yihan (talk) 15:33, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- We have now marked your accommodation payment as received. See below. Deryck Chan (talk) 16:36, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
Payment for dormitory lodging
Hi. I've been registered for Wikimania 2 weeks ago. But I can't pay for dormitory and still waiting for confirmation of dormitory lodging. Is someone responsible for that? Time is running out, so I'm very concerned about this. Wertuose (talk) 14:33, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
- I applied for the dorms in early June and haven't heard anything back even after several emails. Fredlyfish4 (talk) 22:05, 13 July 2013 (UTC)
- Hello! Not to worry. Basically the process is as follows:
- You register for Wikimania entry and book dorm. You pay the registration fee.
- We receive payment notifications and manually update the payment status in batches
- We process dorm room application in batches and allocate rooms.
- After you've been allocated a room, you'll be given payment instructions for the dorms.
- Since steps 2 and 3 takes human effort and are done in batches, it is common for dorm applications to go unprocessed for a month or so (Fredlyfish4 - you're one unfortunate case. Bear with us). However, given the current booking statistics, we can assure (with the usual legal disclaimers etc etc) that those who have paid their registration fee in full (before the timestamp of this message) and requested dorm rooms for any night in the period 6-12 August will get dorm accommodation. Deryck Chan (talk) 16:32, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Hello! Not to worry. Basically the process is as follows: