Submissions/Wikipedia + universities + Estonia = ?
After careful consideration, the programme committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2013 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia + universities + Estonia = ?
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Ivo Kruusamägi
- Country of origin
- Wikipedian and founder of WMEE
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
- More than 1% of the articles in Estonian Wikipedia have been written by university students, there is a course "Wikipedia" in Tartu University and we have received image donations from the university. How is all this possible?
- Detailed proposal
First steps were made in 2009/10 and 2010/11 but we really started the year after. And then there were at least 11 courses in University of Tartu alone that made students write articles to Estonian Wikipedia and that produced ca 550 articles. Biggest of those courses included more than 200 students. This continues in 2012/13 and University of Tartu has not been the only university we have started collaborating with.
We had a 2 ECTS course "Wikipedia" in Tartu University at Institute of Journalism and Communication in 2011/12. That continues in 2012/13 under Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science as a 3 ECTS course. The course gives an overview about the Wikipedia and with its interactions with the society. It will talk about copyright issues, crowdsourcing, encyclopedias, free software, information society, popular science, relations between Wikipedia and media, wiki software, Wikipedia in education, etc. Lets bring the awareness about Wikipedia to a new level.
Even though the acronym GLAM does not contain U for universities they also have a lot of media content. When cooperating with them we should not forget that. It took some time to get this going in Estonia but now the University of Tartu feels free to offer us quality content and we are ready to start with this in other universities as well.
If you want to know what we have achieved and how, then do not miss this presentation.
[Why so much about University of Tartu: it is the biggest and highest-ranked university in Estonia and well... I am just studying there]
- Cultural and Education Outreach
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 18:55, 6 January 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 21:42, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
- Jeromy-Yu Chan, COIC (talk) 14:22, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
- Ijon (talk) 19:46, 1 February 2013 (UTC)
- Leysan Gilmutdinova (talk) 20:59, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
- Papuass (talk) 09:25, 27 February 2013 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 19:26, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- عباد ديرانية (talk) 16:43, 10 April 2013 (UTC).
- JuhaV (talk) 10:36, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 21:02, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ldavis (WMF) (talk) 17:55, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron (talk) 20:41, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 13:06, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Your name here