This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimania scholarships
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Martin Rulsch, Jessie Wild
- Country of origin
- Germany, United States of America
- Wikimedia Deutschland, Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
- martin.rulschwikimedia.de , jwildwikimedia.org
- DerHexer, Jwild
- Personal homepage or blog
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DerHexer , https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jwild
In 2013, over 160 scholarships were awarded to individuals from around the world to attend Wikimania. We believe scholarships to attend Wikimania should be a priority for the movement, and given the vast amounts of time and financial resources which go into scholarships, we want to ensure they are executed in the most equitable, efficient, and effective way! This discussion aims at improving the process of allocating scholarships for Wikimania so that we enable a wonderful group of Wikimedians to attend the conference.
- Detailed proposal
Every year, there are a variety of scholarships granted to individual Wikimedia volunteers to attend Wikimania. This year alone, over 160 scholarships were awarded by the Wikimedia Foundation and various chapters, based on the scoring done by the volunteer Scholarship Committee!
This discussion aims at improving the process of allocating scholarship funding for Wikimania so that we enable a great group of people to attend Wikimania every year. After a short introduction in the 2013 Scholarship process, we want to discuss the composition and election process for selecting Scholarship Committee members, how the Scholarship Committee can improve the cooperation with the the Chapters that allocate their own Wikimania scholarships and the communication with local communities, and how to motivate scholarship recipients to share their Wikimania experiences with these. But most importantly, while we recognize that there will never be a perfect algorithm for selecting the scholars, we want to discuss the selection criteria and how they might be more suitable, detailed and concrete for a better comparison of the applicants of one region or country resp. of the same wiki project.
Please join us with your comments and ideas!
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- 45 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- yes, both
- Slides or further information (optional)
Notes to be taken: http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/WikimaniaScholarships2013
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Pundit (talk) 15:21, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
- As a member of the Scholarship Committee, this is a "must attend" for me. I still think there are many improvements we could make to the process, so I'm looking forward to this. CT Cooper · talk 22:56, 28 April 2013 (UTC)
- As a member of the Scholarship Committee and part of the decision making for WMUK's scholarships. -- KTC (talk) 06:52, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- --Schwäbin (talk) 10:32, 30 April 2013 (UTC) (recipient of a scholarship 2013)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 11:08, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- --Claudia.Garad (talk) 11:46, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- If I'm there, YES! -- ♪Karthik♫ ♪Nadar♫ 18:18, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Stepro (talk) 22:14, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 02:03, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 17:41, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Simon Shek/石 (talk) 06:48, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- Hoo man (talk) 21:41, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Nirakka (talk) 08:41, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Ovedc (talk) 09:21, 28 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Olaf Kosinsky (talk) 18:09, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
- Denis Barthel (WMDE) (talk)
- Add your username here.