Submissions/The Technology Behind Wikidata
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- The Technology Behind Wikidata
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Daniel Kinzler
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Germany
- E-mail address
- Daniel Kinzler (WMDE)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikidata is one of the newest Wikimedia projects and one that does a lot of technical things that have not been done in Wikimedia before. In this talk we are going to take a look behind the scenes of Wikidata and the technological challenges we faced while building it.
- Detailed proposal
Wikidata is one of the newest Wikimedia projects and one that does a lot of technical things that have not been done in Wikimedia before. In this talk we are going to take a look behind the scenes of Wikidata and the technological challenges we faced while building it. In particular we want to show how:
- changes on Wikidata are distributed to and made visible on the Wikipedias
- the structured data is stored (and how this could be useful for other Wikimedia projects)
- Wikidata is becoming a good citizen of the web of data by offering a linked data interface
Context: Wikidata is a new Wikimedia project with the goal to create a data repository for Wikipedia and the world. It aims to be the Wikimedia Commons for data. Imagine only having to edit data in one place and then being able to reuse it across Wikipedia and beyond. Imagine no-longer having to curate lists of articles by hand. What if instead that would be happening automatically? Imagine small Wikipedias being able to bootstrap hundreds of articles by using data that was curated in larger Wikipedias. This and much more is what we have been working on over the last year and are continuing working on to make it reality.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Phoebe (talk) 04:23, 1 May 2013 (UTC) Might be over my head, but I want to know how Wikidata works!
- Sannita (talk) 15:09, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Legoktm (talk) 21:20, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Lejuin (talk) 14:07, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 04:32, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Tgr (talk) 07:30, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 14:52, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Superm401 - Talk 02:52, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 22:37, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
- ChristophZ (talk) 21:28, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
- --Ecce Ralgis (háblame) 19:39, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- Poco a poco (talk) 09:59, 5 August 2013 (UTC)