Submissions/Ten years of Wikipedia outreach in Hong Kong
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Ten years of Wikipedia outreach in Hong Kong
- Type of submission
- Country of origin
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
- In 2003, Andrew Lih led a student classroom exercise at the University of Hong Kong to edit Wikipedia. It was the largest classroom experiment of its kind, when 80 students collaboratively edited articles about Hong Kong.
- Wikimania 2013 will be almost exactly 10 years since that happened. During these 10 years, a vibrant Wikipedia community emerged in Hong Kong, a local Wikimedia chapter was founded, and the impact of Wikipedia grew both online and offline. This session looks back at the CNN television piece that reported on that class, analyzes how those articles about Hong Kong have changed over the years, and highlights the fruits of 10 years of Wikipedia outreach in Hong Kong.
- Detailed proposal
At HKU in 2003, I (Andrew) did a student classroom exercise to edit Wikipedia.It was the largest classroom experiment of its kind, when 80 students collaboratively edited articles about Hong Kong. Wikimania 2013 will be almost exactly 10 years since that happened. I'd like to propose a session that looks back at the CNN television piece that reported on that class, and also analyze how those articles about Hong Kong have changed over the years.
The below is the class listing on the relevant Wikipedia page. This presentation will qualitatively and quantitatively evaluate these articles, how they've changed, and what they say about Wikipedia, through the lens of HK-related articles.
- w:Wikipedia:School and university projects/2003-2008 past projects#University of Hong Kong (2003 - 2004)
- The topics edited that year included: en:Lamma Island, en:Dim sum, en:Mongkok, en:Chinese tea culture, en:Chinese white dolphin, en:MTR, en:Beaches of Hong Kong, en:Hong Kong Tramways, en:Victoria Peak, en:Ecology of Hong Kong, en:Education of Hong Kong, en:Newspapers of Hong Kong, en:Apple Daily.
- Video of CNN story video: https://vimeo.com/65206363
- Web site of CNN story: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/03/wikipedia/
- Banter about Wikipedia downtime and unreliability during that period: 
- Jimmy Wales' positive reaction to the CNN piece on Wikipedia-L: 
- Wikis in Asia
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Phoebe (talk) 04:29, 1 May 2013 (UTC) Yes! Andrew's class was groundbreaking, and I think it's only appropriate when we are in Hong Kong to reflect back on the last 10 years! Should be an intereresting account of Wikimedia history and HK outreach.
- Graham87 (talk) 13:14, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Definitely Yes!--Jeromy-Yu Chan, COIC (talk) 17:46, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Pundit (talk) 20:37, 16 May 2013 (UTC) interesting!
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 01:40, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.