Submissions/Finding things to fix
This submission is on the wait list for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Finding things to fix: Supporting tools for Wikipedia editors
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Angelika Mühlbauer, Kai Nissen, Johannes Kroll, Felix Leif Keppmann
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Deutschland, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- E-mail address
- Angelika Mühlbauer (WMDE)
- Personal homepage or blog
The supporting tools aim to help users to understand the status of an article and to find articles which may need to be improved. By using the article monitor a user can get a quick overview about the currently viewed Wikipedia article. The second tool, the article list generator, enables authors to create individual lists of articles. We are going to present the final version of these tools and highlight their functionalities. Additionally, we will discuss our plans to include further language versions and make the supporting tools available to a broader user group.
- Detailed proposal
The German Wikimedia Chapter is partner in the EU-funded research project RENDER (Reflecting Knowledge Diversity) which focuses on information diversity in the WWW and in particular in Wikipedia.
During the Wikimania 2011 in Haifa and the Wikimania 2012 in Washington D.C. we talked about important knowledge diversity aspects for Wikipedia and discussed the first prototypes together with the audience. This year we are going to present the final version of the supporting tools and highlight their functionalities.
We developed two supporting tools which help users to understand the status of an article and to find articles which may need to be improved:
- The article monitor aims to help users to get a quick overview about the currently viewed Wikipedia article. The monitor sums up several statistics and provides different analysis approaches like fact coverage and timeliness. Further approaches or assessment results can be included very easily if required. The results don’t vote for or against an article. The user can use all information to reason about the quality and probably to get hints for contributing.
- The article list generator enables authors to create individual lists of articles. The users can choose certain categories and specify filters to search (e.g. for articles without an image). Currently, the list generator works for the English, German and French Wikipedia. Further languages versions will be added in future.
After a testing and evaluation period with the German Wikipedia community members during the first quarter of 2013, we improved and enhanced the functionality of both tools. We are going to release the final version of the tools in May.
During the presentation we will highlight the results of our final evaluation and we will present our observations concerning the influence on Wikipedia and its quality.
Although the project is going to end in September 2013, we will continue developing the tools and work on the deployment for more language versions. We are looking forward to discuss our plans to include further language versions and make the supporting tools available to a broader user group.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).