Submissions/Evaluation of GLAM-Outreach Activities
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Evaluation of GLAM-Outreach Activities
- Type of submission
- Beat Estermann (Bern UAS), Jaime Anstee (WMF), Axel Pettersson (WMSE)
- Author of the submission
- Beat Estermann
- Country of origin
- Bern University of Applied Sciences; Wikimedia CH
- E-mail address
- Beat Estermann
- Personal homepage or blog
Over the past years, the GLAM-WIKI-community has collected a tremendous amount of experiences with GLAM-Outreach activities and GLAM-WIKI cooperations. So far, there have however been only few systematic approaches to the evaluation of such cooperations. The goal of the workshop is to reach a shared vision of what may be achieved by different types of GLAM outreach activities and to provide the GLAM-WIKI-Community with a handy tool for the evaluation of GLAM-WIKI-cooperations by identifying the most commonly shared goals for different types of GLAM-WIKI cooperations.
- Detailed proposal
Over the past years, the GLAM-WIKI-community has collected a tremendous amount of experiences with GLAM-Outreach activities and GLAM-WIKI cooperations.
So far, there have however been only few systematic approaches to the evaluation of such cooperations. There is no explicit shared understanding at the international level of what is a “successful” GLAM-WIKI cooperation. As a consequence, it is rather difficult to have a focused discussion about possible improvements; and it is hard to discuss about and to analyze relative failures, in order to learn from them.
A further challenge concerns the promotion of GLAM-WIKI-cooperations: In order to encourage more cultural institutions to cooperate with the Wiki-community and to ensure the accountability with regard to our donors and (fellow) volunteers, we should be able to clearly communicate the benefits of such cooperations. A shared understanding of how to evaluate cooperations would come in handy for all those who perceive GLAM outreach as an endeavor that greatly benefits from exchanges across national borders.
This said, we greatly value the heterogeneity of approaches and sensibilities within the different countries, as this is certainly one of the big strengths of the GLAM-WIKI movement. Therefore, the purpose of this workshop is in no way to “impose” a unifying structure upon GLAMmers throughout the world, but to foster the awareness of our differences, to make commonalities visible, and to facilitate reciprocal learning.
Objective of the Workshop
Provide the GLAM-WIKI-Community with a shared vision of the goals that may or should be achieved through various types of GLAM-WIKI cooperations. Provide the GLAM-WIKI-Community with a handy tool for the evaluation of GLAM-WIKI-cooperations by identifying the most commonly shared goals for different types of GLAM-WIKI cooperation, assorted with indicators that can be used to turn the goals into SMART goals.
Activities in the run-up of the Workshop
Over the coming months, we will collect inputs from the GLAM-WIKI community concerning the following two questions (on-wiki collection of inputs):
- What have been positive outcomes of various types of GLAM-WIKI-cooperations in the past?
- What would GLAMmers and cultural partners see as goals that should be achieved through a given type of GLAM-WIKI cooperation?
- Please share your experiences on the Outreach Wiki
Structure of the Workshop
- Introduction (5 min)
- Presentation of a synthesis of the results of the poll (15 min)
- Discussion, addition of further positive outcomes (10 min)
- Brainstorming in two or four groups (25 min):
- Indicators of success for the different goals, turning the goals into SMART goals
- In case of failure with regard to a specific goal: What can/should be done to improve the situation?
- Wrap-up (15 min)
Wikipedians/Wikimedians involved in or interested in GLAM outreach activities; people associated to GLAMs that have engaged in co-operations with the Wikimedia/Wikipedia community or that might do so in the future.
- Cultural and Educational Outreach
- Length of presentation/talk
- 70 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- I probably won't be able attend if none of my submissions gets accepted.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- SarahStierch (talk) 13:40, 19 April 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:22, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
- Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:34, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 21:53, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- AroundTheGlobe (talk) 08:52, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron (talk) 20:48, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- Whiteghost.ink (talk) 23:49, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:21, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- PierreSelim (talk) 10:55, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, I will not be attending Wikimania this year, but I would certainly attend this presentation if I were. Best of luck! --Another Believer (talk) 19:46, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 15:07, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Atropine (talk) 13:39, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
- Ijon (talk) 23:13, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
- Marcio De Assis (talk) 15:02, 6 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sophie ♡ 12:46, 13 July 2013 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 16:24, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- sats (talk) 14:51, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
- Beko (talk) 05:13, 4 August 2013 (UTC)
- Smuconlaw (talk) 10:52, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 16:49, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
- Manuel (WMDE) (talk) 07:59, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
- Polimerek (talk) 02:39, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- Jensbest (talk) 03:02, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- Mccapra (talk) 22:03, 10 August 2013 (UTC)