Submissions/Discussing Our Legal Strategy Going Forward: A Talk with the WMF General Counsel

From Wikimania 2013 • Hong Kong

This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.

Watch session on YouTube

Submission no.
Subject no.
P1 or L1
Title of the submission
Discussing Our Legal Strategy Going Forward: A Talk with the WMF General Counsel
Type of submission
Presentation and Discussion
Author of the submission
Geoff Brigham, WMF General Counsel (and WMF legal team)
Country of origin
E-mail address
Personal homepage or blog

A discussion with the community about the legal strategy of WMF for the following year 2013-2014. We will discuss relevant topics, including possible updating of the privacy policy, updating our trademark policy and practices to conform to community needs, and outside efforts to censor content.

Detailed proposal

We would like to use this time to spell out some of our strategic initiatives for the WMF Legal Department for this coming fiscal year. We are expecting an emphasis on privacy governance, WMF and community governance, and trademark governance - each of which will involve strong community consultation and participation. We anticipate starting a review period with the community on a new trademark policy and protocol as well as a new privacy policy. We want to examine our domain name management, construct an international movement-player governance guide, and write a model board handbook. We will also discuss the initiatives that are underway in support of the community, including our support for volunteers who challenge censorship laws and practices. We wish to discuss other possible projects, including better training opportunities for the functionaries in our community. Our goal is that this will be more of a discussion about important legal initiatives that affect the community (as opposed to a more formal presentation). Last year the room was packed when we reviewed the top 10 legal issues in the community, and we hope to create the same level of interest this year.

Length of presentation/talk
60 Minutes
Language of presentation/talk
Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Slides or further information (optional)
Yes - slides
Special requests

Interested attendees

If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).

  1. AroundTheGlobe (talk) 08:48, 24 April 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  2. CT Cooper · talk 23:32, 28 April 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  3. Wnme (talk) 09:41, 29 April 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  4. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:13, 30 April 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  5. DebashisM (talk) 18:44, 30 April 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  6. Risker (talk) 03:26, 1 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  7. Phoebe (talk) 05:17, 1 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  8. Jon Davies WMUK
  9. LeslieCarr (talk) 18:29, 3 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  10. Multichill (talk) 15:01, 4 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  11. Raystorm (talk) 09:34, 5 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  12. Graham87 (talk) 11:03, 5 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  13. Ocaasi (talk) 15:18, 7 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  14. Superbellymonster (talk) 03:17, 8 May 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  15. Marcio De Assis (talk) 15:06, 6 June 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  16. Ocastro (talk)
  17. --Jduranboger (talk) 01:53, 31 July 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  18. Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 23:16, 31 July 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  19. Kasia Odrozek (WMDE) (talk) 14:48, 3 August 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  20. Poco a poco (talk) 09:57, 5 August 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  21. Smuconlaw (talk) 10:57, 5 August 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  22. Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 16:43, 7 August 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  23. --Ecce Ralgis (háblame) 23:43, 9 August 2013 (UTC)[reply]
  24. Add your username here.