Submissions/Design your UIs for worldwide users
This submission is on the wait list for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Design your UIs for worldwide users
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Pau Giner
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
Wikimedia projects are used worldwide. When designing new features, we need to make sure that these features meet the needs of our users regardless their location, cultural background or language.
During last year, we have organized remote usability testing studies with more than 50 users for projects of the Language Engineering and Editor Engagement teams from the the Wikimedia Foundation.
This talk will present the design process we followed, how we involved our global community in the different steps of the process, and the guidelines to consider when designing user interfaces for international products.
- Detailed proposal
Designing solutions for an audience as large and broad as the one using Wikimedia projects is full of challenges. We need to make sure that we meet the needs of our users regardless their location, cultural background or language. During last year we have been applying a user-centered design process to different projects in order to explore solutions, prototype them and test these solutions with users. This allowed us to detect and correct problems before effort has been put in developing the tools.
The diversity of our audience has been considered in each step in the process:
- Definition of scenarios including the needs of different users.
- Involve local design communities to participate in the process.
- Make prototypes easily translatable.
- Provide access to our design documentation.
- Organise and conduct remote usability testing with participants from different cultural contexts.
During last year, we have organised remote usability testing studies with more than 50 users for projects of the Language Engineering and Editor Engagement teams from the the Wikimedia Foundation. All the feedback received has not been only useful to improve our designs but also allowed us to identify some general guidelines that to consider when designing user interfaces for international products.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- అమీర్ ఎ. అహరొని (talk) 14:00, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- Siebrand (talk) 18:58, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
- Marcmiquel (talk) 19:18, 22 February 2013 (UTC)
- --Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 17:16, 11 March 2013 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 17:14, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- Yarl 10:18, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:01, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- The wub (talk) 14:06, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:20, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- --Nikerabbit (talk) 17:39, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Runab WMF (talk) 05:17, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- Heatherawalls (talk) 18:54, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- Dsvyas (talk) 20:33, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.