Submissions/Beyond Afripedia: Mali Experience
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Beyond Afripedia: Mali Experience
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Adrienne Alix
- Renaud Gaudin
- Country of origin
- Kiwix, Afripedia, Wikimédia France
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimédia France
- Afripedia project on french Wikipedia
- Blogpost about Afripedia on Wikimedia Foundation blog
Mali is the perfect example of where a Wikipedia Community can't grow: West Africa, Top 20 poorest countries in the world, Slow Internet, High Customs Taxes on Electronic, Many Local Languages, Low Educational System, No Volunteering Culture… Come Find out what we've done and what we're doing to get a Community started.
- Detailed proposal
Wikimedia-France started the Afripedia Project at the end of 2012 in the hope to create a Wikipedia-friendly environment in 10+ universities in Africa based on offline access to Wikipedia and wikimedia content, and training sessions to learn how to edit Wikipedia. After many years of variously successful attempts to start a community, we are taking this opportunity to relaunch activities in the light of our past experiences.
Also, African Chapters are emerging slowly ; while we understand that every country is different, we believe that the many iterations we've been through need to be shared so that the new generation of Wikimedia bootstrapers can make wiser choices.
This talk will be about:
- What Afripedia is and why it is revolutionary.
- A general overview of Afripedia project, after about 1 year.
- Results of Afripedia in Mali, after about 8 months.
- Overview of the past Wikimedia-related activities attempted since 2006 with failures & successes.
- What are the intrinsic difficulties of Wikimedia in the Malian and french-speaking Africa context.
- What we are doing now, why and how is it successful
- What could Wikipedia Zero bring to Mali (it is not available)
- Cultural and Educational Outreach
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Kelson (talk)
- అమీర్ ఎ. అహరొని (talk) 20:15, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
- MADe (talk) 10:52, 10 March 2013 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 16:03, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
- --عباد ديرانية (talk) 04:58, 9 April 2013 (UTC).
- Wilfredor (talk)
- --Chandres (talk) 12:23, 18 April 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 08:54, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
- 18.104.22.168 16:55, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 14:06, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 21:15, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
- Amqui (talk) 15:58, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 08:54, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 14:57, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 13:09, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Ijon (talk) 08:22, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 10:21, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Schiste (talk) 14:13, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Superbellymonster (talk) 03:31, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Chandres (talk) 13:47, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
- Islahaddow (talk) 03:56, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
- Sbaijard (talk) 08:58, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Ju7zaishoo (talk) 19:23, 4 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 16:43, 7 August 2013 (UTC)