Submissions/To what extent are GLAMs ready for Open Data and Crowdsourcing? – Results of a pilot survey from Switzerland and their implications for GLAM-Wiki outreach
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- To what extent are GLAMs ready for Open Data and Crowdsourcing? – Results of a pilot survey from Switzerland and their implications for GLAM-WIKI outreach
- Type of submission
- Country of origin
- Bern University of Applied Sciences; Wikimedia CH; Digitale Allmend (Creative Commons Switzerland); opendata.ch (Swiss Chapter of the Open Knowledge Foundation)
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
To what extent are memory institutions in Switzerland ready to adopt an open data policy and to engage in crowdsourcing approaches, including co-operations with the Wikipedia/Wikimedia community? – In a pilot survey among memory institutions in Switzerland we asked Swiss GLAMs about the perceived risks and opportunities of such approaches, their attitudes towards “free” licensing, and several other things. We also used the survey as a broad-scale instrument to have memory institutions self-select themselves for follow-up contacts and co-operations. We will present the survey results and ask what their implications are for our GLAM-outreach activities.
- Detailed proposal
To what extent are memory institutions in Switzerland ready to adopt an open data policy and to engage in crowdsourcing approaches, including co-operations with the Wikipedia/Wikimedia community? - In order to tackle this question we carried out a pilot survey among memory institutions of national significance in Switzerland. We asked them about the perceived risks and opportunities of such approaches, their attitudes towards “free” licensing, the extent of material already made available on the Internet, previous experiences with volunteer work and a few other things. Apart from that we used the survey as a broad-scale instrument to have memory institutions self-select themselves for follow-up contacts with regard to cooperation projects or consulting services.
In the first half of the session, I will present the results of our study and present a few theses regarding their implications for GLAM-Wiki outreach. In the second half I would like to discuss with the audience the theses and further implications the results may have for our GLAM-outreach activities.
Depending on the interest of the audience we can also discuss possibilities for extending the survey to other countries.
- Cultural and Educational Outreach
- Length of presentation/talk
- 40 Minutes (20 minutes presentation / 20 minutes discussion)
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Probably not.
- Slides or further information (optional)
Check out the slides of the presentation I gave at the GLAM-WIKI Conference in London in spring 2013. While the survey results will stay pretty much the same, the Wikimania presentation (and especially the discussion part) will be more oriented towards the question what the results imply with regard to our outreach activities.
Slides: Presentation Wikimania 2013
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- BasilGeorge22 (talk) 10:40, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, Do the GLAM UK talk and this one in the same way, or at least do this one as you describe. Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:53, 1 April 2013 (UTC)
- Saw the GLAM Wiki UK talk. Was good. Still some time to make it better. --Daniel Mietchen (talk) 16:09, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 21:08, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
- AroundTheGlobe (talk) 09:00, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron (talk) 20:52, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 17:29, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Liked the talk in London. Multichill (talk) 13:08, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 15:54, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- LVilla (WMF) (talk) 05:49, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:31, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.