Submissions/Edit this Museum Exhibit about Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Edit this Museum Exhibit about Wikipedia
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Andrew Lih, User:Fuzheado
- Country of origin
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, will debut an exhibit in 2014 about Wikipedia -- one of seven software technologies they are highlighting that have changed our lives. They have engaged Wikipedians in the planning process, and this is an update about that exhibit design and a solicitation of more ideas from the community on what an exhibit about Wikipedia should have.
- Detailed proposal
What would a physical exhibit about Wikipedia look like?
Dear Wikimedians, we need your help to determine that.
The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, will debut an exhibit in 2014 about Wikipedia -- one of seven technologies they are highlighting that have changed our world.
In December 2012, the museum engaged Wikipedians in the brainstorming process. This Wikimania session is an update about that exhibit design and a solicitation of more ideas from the global community on what an exhibit about Wikipedia should have. Tell us your most compelling stories about how Wikipedia has affected your language communities. Show us what kind of impact it has had, and how you got involved.
- What should an ordinary person know about what Wikipedia does around the world, every second of every day?
- What kind of interactive displays best tell Wikipedia's story?
- What innovative techniques can be used to show how much is going on in Wikipedia at any given time?
Andrew Lih (User:Fuzheado) has been working with the museum's curators since 2012 on the planning, and hosted a meetup of the CHM and Wikipedians to brainstorm the idea. Wikimania is an ideal place to get even more ideas.
Gallery of photos from the first session
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:46, 30 April 2013 (UTC) would like to get involved
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:20, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:15, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- I will not be attending Wikimania this year, but love this concept and would attend this presentation if possible. --Another Believer (talk) 20:02, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Klortho (talk) 20:25, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Phoebe (talk) 22:12, 30 April 2013 (UTC) (and not just because I'm in the picture :) )
- Bishdatta (talk) 17:38, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Ziko (talk) 17:41, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- LeslieCarr (talk) 18:29, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 08:53, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- --Archeologo (talk) 14:08, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
- --ProtoplasmaKid (talk) 16:40, 29 July 2013 (UTC)
- Anthonyhcole (talk) 22:00, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Mitchan14 (talk) 22:00, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 03:37, 5 August 2013 (UTC)