Submissions/A GLAMourous year
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- A GLAMourous year: past and future in the German speaking Wikimedia universe
- Type of submission
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Germany
- E-mail address
- barbara.fischerwikimedia.de and marcus.cyronwikimedia.de
- Personal homepage or blog
- Proposal (new)
- We will center our presentation around the job of the first german "official" Wikipedian in Residence, 2012 at the German Archaeological Institute and the following activities and initiatives (so Wikidata meets Archaeology; the start of the free and interactive Limes map). We will talk about what was good - and what was not. We will show our "lessons learned". From this point we will also talk about other initiatives, we've done last year and we will do in the next 12 months. Because of less time we will not talk about things like Wiki Loves Monuments or the "Landtagsproject".
- 2012 was a breaking point for GLAM activities in the German chapter. Through the installment of a official GLAM curator working as a link in between the GLAM institutions and the Wikimedia community, many good initiatives could be focused. We would like to show what changed, present the best practices we developed, and talk about our challenges and the scope for the future.
- Detailed proposal (old, brainstorming character)
- In 2012 the German GLAM projects made a big step forward. Before 2012, isolated Wikipedians were talking to GLAM institutions within their reach. This let to outstanding results, like the liberation of 60.000 images of the Federal Archive in 2008 or well attended conferences like "Wikipedia meets the Classics", but they remained unlinked. Throughout 2012 we have worked together to develop a common strategy and carried out several measures to implement it.
- For example, the two Wikipedians in Residence at the Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (German Archaeological Institute) and at the Stiftung Stadtmuseum Berlin (Foundation Citymuseum Berlin) that took place in 2012. The experience was instructive concerning the relation between sustainability and institutional readiness. To promote our outreach, we cooperated in national GLAM conferences such as "Zugang gestalten". But off the "official" records, many other initiatives took place. And we have developed new projects and formats we would like to discuss with you.
- Ideas to talk about:
- Wikimedians in Residence in Germany 2012 and 2013
- Conferences "Zugang gestalten" and "Wikidata meets Archaeology"
- interactive "Roman Limes map"
- GLAM on tour
- further GLAM activities in Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, Bavaria, at the Roman Limes in Germany and others
- Landtagsprojekt (photographing the federal representatives)
- change in the perception of Wikip/media in the German scientifical and GLAM world
- trends in needs
- Problems in Germany regarding "Wiki loves Monuments"
- Lessons learned
- Cultural and Educational Outreach
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- DerHexer (talk) 23:31, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 00:51, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- Stepro (talk) 22:15, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
- LeslieCarr (talk) 18:37, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
- Multichill (talk) 14:00, 4 May 2013 (UTC)
- Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 08:50, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- Matthias Süßen (talk) 14:09, 26 June 2013 (UTC)
- Islahaddow (talk) 09:23, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- Add your username here.