Everyone is welcome to the DevCamp days – you don't have to register ahead of time. To help us plan, we would be prefer that you add yourself to the list below.
DevCamp - sometimes called Hackathons ("Hacking days") – have been held previously at Wikimania 2005 (Frankfurt), 2006 (Boston), 2007 (Taipei), 2009 (Buenos Aires), 2011 (Haifa), and 2012 (DC), and various other DevCamps, hackathons, and developer meetings.
Interested technologists and hackers of all backgrounds are welcome at the Wikimania DevCamp. Prior experience with the MediaWiki software is not required. Translators with a linguistic background who can help improve language support for Wikimedia technology projects are also needed.
Wednesday, August 7th
|Wednesday, August 7th|
|N112 – 116||M106||M107||M108|
|09:00 – 10:00||Registration & doors open|
|10:00 – 11:00||Welcome & newbie setup||-||-||-|
|11:00 – 13:00||Hacking||Workshop: Wikimedia Labs & Tool Labs||Workshop: MediaWiki performance||-|
|13:00 – 14:00||Lunch||-||-|
|14:00 – 15:20||Hacking!||Workshop: Security for developers||Workshop: Wikidata||Workshop: All things internationalization|
|15:30 – 17:00||Hacking!||Workshop: OAuth||Workshop: Lua & templates||Wikimaps roundtable|
Thursday, August 8th
|Thursday, August 8th|
|N112 – 116||M106||M107|
|09:00 – 10:15||Registration & doors open||-||-|
|10:15 – 11:00||Welcome & newbie setup||-||-|
|11:00 - 13:00||Hacking!||Workshop: Wikimedia Labs & Tool Labs||Workshop: Content handler|
|13:00 - 14:00||Lunch||-||-|
|14:00 - 15:20||Hacking!||Discussion: MediaWiki architecture||Workshop: Running a bot (with pywikipedia)|
|15:30 - 17:00||Hacking!||Workshop: Contributing to pywikipedia (using git/gerrit)|
In addition to the scheduled tutorials, experienced developers will be around who can answer questions and help introduce you to hacking on a variety of topics such as:
- Skins / navigation
- Internationalization in MediaWiki and support for languages of Asia.
- Extensions to share Wikipedia articles in social networks
- Statistics - live visit counters for every Wikipedia page. Analytic tools (like Google Analytic)
- Guided tours for wikis
All participants of DevCamp are expected to respect and abide by the Wikimania Friendly Space Policy. Individuals not cooperating with this policy may be asked to leave the event.
- Note: Signing up here does not register you for Wikimania, but helps us to plan the DevCamp. Conference registration is open; there is no additional charge for the DevCamp.
- My first time to attend a Hackthon and strongly believe to learn more from the Mobile perspective as my interest lies much there.Its unfortunate that i missed a Hackthon at Wikimania 2012 but now its a must attend. Oarabile Mudongo (talk) 09:47, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk)(COI) 06:15, 24 January 2013 (UTC) – interested in helping organize Hackathon and help out newbies on day of
- assuming I am able to attend... Aude (talk) 01:51, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
- Never been to a Hackathon, but there is always a first time. CT Cooper · talk 17:05, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
- At our service. Siebrand (talk) 17:58, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
- Rangilo Gujarati (talk) 17:20, 27 March 2013 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 03:25, 18 April 2013 (UTC)
- I hope I will be able to arrive early for DevCamp MPelletier (WMF) (talk) 14:10, 28 April 2013 (UTC)
- Interested in hacks around Open Access and Science GLAM. --Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:10, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Though I am not very knowledgeable in those matters, I am interested in attending as I will arrive prior to the conference. I can help as a translator --aad_Dira (talk) 21:32, 6 May 2013 (UTC).
- This must be a party, right? --Ryuch (talk) 09:13, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- I'll be there and would very much like to join a mobile-related project of some sort. --Pypt (talk) 22:22, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
- First time at a hackathon. Allhailchester (talk) 10:46, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
- Magioladitis (talk) 17:11, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- Want to learn about A) js gadgets, and B) design patterns for timing-sensitive bots that watch pages. Maximilianklein (talk) 20:23, 25 May 2013 (UTC)
- Pau Giner
- Niklas Laxström
- Amir Aharoni
- Santhosh Thottingal
- Alolita Sharma
- Dsvyas (talk)
- Roan Kattouw
- Multichill (talk) 13:10, 8 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 17:46, 10 June 2013 (UTC) - may help encourage some sprints and tutorials as well.
- Subhashish Panigrahi (talk)
- Stephan Schulz (talk) 16:01, 25 June 2013 (UTC) - I have had some minor experience with JSON (in Python, which I'm fluent in), and an interest in mining (and processing) semantic content from Wikis.
- Nasir Khan Saikat
- MarkTraceur (talk) 15:15, 6 July 2013 (UTC)
- Yug -- wikimaps.
- Susannaanas (talk)
- RandomNoob143 (talk) 13:32, 28 July 2013 (UTC) Local volunteer, not very skilled but interested
- rz (talk) 18:29, 28 July 2013 (UTC)
- Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 18:57, 28 July 2013 (UTC) - I am not a developer, but work with many of the attendees, and will be collaborating with some of them during this event.
- --Ecce Ralgis (háblame) 19:02, 29 July 2013 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk), will happily attend newbies intro for Lua, Labs, Wikidata (and more).
- It would take me some time to set up the laptop for hacking though... Wizardist (talk) 20:00, 29 July 2013 (UTC)
- LeslieCarr (talk) 21:24, 29 July 2013 (UTC)
- KartikMistry (talk)
- Fuzheado (talk) 05:44, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Bennylin (talk) 06:04, 30 July 2013 (UTC) - I'm interested in learning how to submit patch and making the update for my Javanese transliteration script smooth (not having to wait till an available dev available to review it). ( been six month in waiting, Bug: 43809).
- Pouyana (talk) 12:34, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Legoktm (talk) 00:11, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- Matthew Flaschen. Superm401 - Talk 01:43, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- Papuass (talk)
- Anthony Fok (talk) 02:23, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- Manuela2012 (talk) 22:06, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- Jeroen De Dauw - for great justice! ~=[,,_,,]:3
- Most probably will manage to attend the first day. Asaifm (talk) 09:11, 4 August 2013 (UTC)
- Poco a poco (talk) 09:16, 5 August 2013 (UTC) Will join on Thursday
- --Vacio (talk) 06:12, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
- Kelson (talk)
- --Arjunaraoc (talk) 02:08, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
- Tychay (talk) 02:18, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
- Foxj (talk) 02:39, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
- Superzerocool (talk) 02:11, 8 August 2013 (UTC) I'm in the center of the room
- Jeph paul (talk) 04:04, 8 August 2013 (UTC) Replay Edit, the tool to visualise edits that I'm working on.
Notes from the DevCamp organizers
Recommended items to bring
- Preferred note-taking tools
- Bottled water (there are usually ways to refill these once you have one)
Prior to DevCamp
It is recommended that prior to DevCamp, you should: