Some Wikimania attendees are considering making a trip to Burma / Myanmar after the conference. This page is for coordinating such an excursion.
- Trip to Bagan, former capital of the Pagan Empire
- Arrange a meetup with local Wikipedians
I've wanted to visit (or at least pass through) Burma for several years, but I've always regarded it as sort of unvisitable, both due to principle (not wanting to contribute a single dime to the general's economy) and practice (stories about tourists being assigned minders and being led by the nose, North Korea-style.) Are my stereotypes way out of date? Is their government moderately legit and/or tourist-friendly these days? Andrewbogott (talk) 18:28, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- I think it is not North Korea but you still need a visa to enter the country. rz (talk) 19:41, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- Heather Walls
- Tfinc (talk) 22:40, 6 March 2013 (UTC)
- Philippe (WMF) (talk) 22:52, 6 March 2013 (UTC)
- Gyoung (talk) 23:02, 6 March 2013 (UTC) (I'm strongly considering Bagan and then Bali)
- MBrown (WMF)
- ErikV (talk) 13:48, 5 June 2013 (UTC) Any updates? Is this thing going through?
- Jdlrobson (talk) 22:40, 6 March 2013 (UTC) (but was thinking about doing this before wikimania rather than after)
- Jalexander (talk) 22:41, 6 March 2013 (UTC) ( going to do something after just not sure what, this is certainly a possibility though depending on what we are thinking of and other options that pop up)
- Sue Gardner (talk) 18:27, 7 March 2013 (UTC) (Not sure if I'll go, but I am leaning yes. This is the year to visit Burma :-))
- Eloquence (talk) 18:44, 7 March 2013 (UTC) put me in the maybe as well, definitely sounds fun
- Ori.livneh (talk) 06:18, 8 March 2013 (UTC) I'd love to, but it'd be a bit of a stretch. Would still like to get updates, though.
- Andrewbogott (talk) 18:28, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- 126.96.36.199 16:55, 26 March 2013 (UTC) Still not sure if I'm going to Wikimania :-/ But, if so..then this would be great.
- Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 02:20, 30 March 2013 (UTC) I'm intrigued, though Bali also beckons ... Keep us posted.