Submissions/Wikimedian Residency at the Natural History Museum and Science Museum, London
This is a withdrawn submission for Wikimania 2013.
- Submission no.
- Subject no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedian Residency at the Natural History Museum and Science Museum in London
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- John Cummings
- Country of origin
- United Kingdom
- Wikimedia UK
- E-mail address
- Personal homepage or blog
A report on the work done in my residency, including innovations and work by other volunteers. Creating the first citizen science project on Wikimedia and the first truly multilingual museum guide. A look at economic argument for releasing images under an open license and the tensions of copyright and educational institutions. Reflections on working with two large museums including a research institution and working with and training people with very specialist knowledge.
- Detailed proposal
A report on the work done in my residency, including innovations and work by other volunteers
- Creating the first citizen science project on Wikimedia, specifically on Wikisource, to give Wikimedia editors the chance to contribute to scientific research through transcription and linking data.
- Creating the first truly multilingual museum guide using Wikipedia and the QRpedia technology in a new way. Images are used to guide people through the gallery and then a link to a Wikipedia article that autodetects the users language, the prototype for this is here. Also looking at implications for anyone being able to curate a museum using Wikimedia resources in hundreds of languages.
- There is an economic argument for releasing images under an open license: a comparison of the cost of the website of an educational organisation per page view with the cost of content released under an open license and the views of this content on open knowledge projects.
- Exploring the possibilities of expansion of projects and future work within the museums.
- Examining the massively increased educational reach of organisations that release their content under an open licence, including looking at the dilemma with educational institutions and copyright, where they want to share information but as well as own it.
- Working with two large museums including a research institution.
- Working with and training people with very specialist knowledge.
- Work done by volunteers as part of the project.
- Encouraging organisations to use open license images.
- Encouraging museum visitors to contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- The pros and cons of a short residency, how to get things done in a short amount of time.
- Length of presentation/talk
- 20 minutes
- Language of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- project page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/NHMandSM
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).