General Information 
- What is Wikimania?
- A conference for people working on Wikimedia Foundation projects (primarily the world-famous ) and other people who are interested in wikis, free and open content/software, and global development/education. See meta and Wikipedia for more information.
- Where will this year's Wikimania conference be held?
- Wikimania 2013 will be held at the Jockey Club Auditorium at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) in Hong Kong.
- When will this year's Wikimania conference be held?
- Developer meetings (DevCamp aka Hackathon) and Pre-conference will take place on Wednesday and Thursday, 7 – 8 August, 2013.
- The main conference will take place on Friday – Sunday, 9–11 August, 2013.
Local Information 
- What and where is Hong Kong?
- Hong Kong is a place with multiple personalities, owing to both Cantonese Chinese roots and recent British influence.
- What languages are spoken in Hong Kong area?
- The primary language spoken is Cantonese, with a majority also speaking Mandarin and English.
- How's the weather during the summer?
- Hot and humid, with temperatures regularly around 31 degrees Celsius (88 degrees Fahrenheit).
- What types of clothing do you suggest?
- Light clothing, absolutely, with a jacket and umbrella.
- What electricity and telecommunications are used?
- Electrical outlets in Hong Kong use type G plugs (BS 1363) at 220 volts and 50 hertz frequency. The main modes of mobile telecommunications include GSM and CDMA.
- What's the currency in Hong Kong?
- Hong Kong uses the Hong Kong Dollar. Currency exchange booths are available at the airports.
- Can I use my credit card in Hong Kong area?
- Most major vendors will accept credit cards such as Visa and MasterCard. Major public transport, fast food restaurants, supermarkets, vending machiness, convenient stores, photo booths, parking meters, car parks and many other retails business where small payment are frequently made by customers will accept Octopus Card.
- What time zone is Hong Kong in?
- The time zone will be Hong Kong Time during Wikimania (UTC+8).
- Whom do I call in case of an emergency while I'm in Hong Kong?
- Call 9-9-9 for police, firemen, or ambulance service. This will work even if your phone lacks a valid SIM card.
Registration and Lodging 
- What types of accommodation are available?
- Hotels and hostels of various prices are available for out-of-town attendees. See Accommodation.
- Are meals included?
- Lunch is included in the registration price. Meals outside the venue are not covered by registration, but there are plenty of restaurants nearby.
- When is check-out time for the accommodations?
- Is there a gym or exercise facilities at/near the accommodations?
- Will conference accommodation rates be available the week before or the week after the conference, so that a visitor might extend their stay?
- I arrive late at night – what should I do?
- See also: Main Scholarships FAQ.
- How do I get a scholarship?
- See Scholarships for more information.
- I applied for a scholarship, when will I find out if my application is approved?
- The Scholarships committee will review the applications and get back to you after they have reviewed the hundreds of applications.
- I got a scholarship. How do I get reimbursed?
Transportation and Visas 
- Are there any additional documents I need to enter Hong Kong other than a passport?
- Visitors from certain countries are required to obtain a visa before entering Hong Kong. Once your registration is confirmed, begin the process of obtaining a visa as soon as possible if required. See Visas for more information.
- How are the international flights?
- See Getting to Hong Kong.
- Does my passport need to be stamped at the border?
- No, effective from 19 March 2013, the Immigration Officer will no longer stamp your passport upon entry. You will be issued with landing slips on your travel documents instead.
- Help! I'm at the airport. How do I get to the city?
- Hong Kong International Airport (HKG): Take the Citybus Cityflyer route A21 bus (HK$33.0 in cash, or use a Octopus card) to the Hung Hom MTR station. Alternately, you can take the MTR Airport Express train to Kowloon Station (HK$90.0 in cash, or use a Octopus card) , and then take the feeder bus route K1 to the Hung Hom MTR station. MTR opens at 06:12-23:12 Monday through Sunday.
- Help! I'm in Hong Kong How do I get to the venue?
The Jockey Club Auditorium is at Hong Kong Polytechnic University. The university is located right next to MTR Hung Hom Station and the Cross-Harbour Tunnel Bus interchange and the main entrance is accessed by several footbridges connecting the university campus with the station and the bus interchange. To get there:
- MTR: The conference is accessible by the Hung Hom MTR station at Exit A on the East Rail and West Rail Lines.
- Any buses using the Cross-Harbour Tunne (buses with a 1-prefix on their number, e.g 101,104,107,118): Get off at the bus stop on the Kowloon side of the Cross-Harbour Tunnel Bus interchange. Take the foot bridge to the campus.
- Buses to Hung Hom Station terminus: Get off at the Hung Hom Staion terminus. Take the foot bridge to the campus.
- Help! I need to get to the venue in a cab.
- Here are a few phone numbers for taxi service: …. For the Jockey Club Auditorium, tell the driver to take you to the Jockey Club Auditorium, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Conference and Schedule 
- I want to submit a lecture, where do I apply?
You can submit your presentation through the Submissions page.
General questions 
- Who's speaking when?
- See Schedule.
- When is the big party for attendees?
- What other related events are there?
- What is there to do before/after the conference?
- Wednesday and Thursday, 7 – 8 August, 2013 - Developer meetings (DevCamp aka Hackathon) and Pre-conference.
- When will other people be there?
- Is tipping customary?
- Tipping is not customary in restaurants. A 10-20% service charge is usually inclued to the bills in most restaurants and hotels. Tips are not expected in self-service restaurants or food stands. Tip the bellhop (or carry it yourself − which is also customary) and staff in the hotel.
- What is food like there? I have special dietary needs, what about me?
- The conference will provide all lunches. Refreshments, cakes and coffee will be provided during the breaks.
A vegetarian option will be provided to all who request it. Organizers will attempt to assist with other special dietary needs.
- What is the address of...? The phone number of...?
- See: Address book
- Will I be able to use my cell phone? Can I rent a cell phone?
- See Telecommunications
- Should I bring my laptop? Will there be wireless Internet access?
- Many attendees bring their laptops to Wikimania, although it is not required. Wi-Fi will be provided at the venue, and at the lobby of the hotels. Some, but not all hotel rooms will have Wi-Fi at no additional charge.
- I'm a presenter; how should I bring my presentation?
Bring it on a flash drive, a CD or just on your computer: make sure it reaches the organizers a day in advance to ensure it works. Or email it to the organizers. Also, whichever option you use, upload it to Commons with a free license (or on this wiki if you don't own copyright of it) and in Wikimania 2013 presentation slides; otherwise, we'll do it for you after the conference unless you asked us not to.
- How do I get announcements about Wikimania?
- Before the conference – Watch this site or sign up for wikimania-l, a mailing list for most Wikimania related issues or announcements.
- During the conference – posted notices at the registration area will advise the attendees of any changes and notices.
- What hashtag should I use for tweets and photos?
- Use #wikimania for the conference in general. For individual presentations and sessions, a hashtag will be posted in the room.